Poland - Gniezno

Gniezno is a city in central-western Poland, is a the first capital of Poland.

Foto: Wikipedia

Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Adalbert is a Gothic cathedral in Gniezno, Poland. The Cathedral is known for its twelfth-century (ca. 1175), two-winged bronze doors decorated with scenes of martyrdom of St. Wojciech and a silver relic coffin of that saint.






Legend of Lech, Czech and Rus According to the Polish version of legends: three brothers Lech, Czech and Rus were exploring the wilderness to find a place to settle. Suddenly they saw a hill with an old oak and an eagle on top. Lech said: this white eagle I will adopt as an emblem of my people, and around this oak I will build my stronghold, and because of the eagle nest. I will call it Gniezno. The other brothers went further on to find a place for their people. Czech went to the South and Rus went to the East.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz